A Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) allows you to work, rest and play in Australia for up to two years!
A working holiday visa allows young people to have an extended holiday and work in Australia and you’re allowed a maximum of two Working Holiday visas. The first visa lasts for a year and if you do three months of regional work during the period of the first visa, you will be eligible for a second working holiday visa, provided you meet the other requirements and remain under 31 years of age.
A Working Holiday visa is a fantastic way of experiencing all that Australia has to offer and is a wonderful platform from which to find an employer and/or gain Australian work experience which could lead to opportunities to become eligible for other Australian visas if you’d like to stay on after your Working Holiday visa expires.
Am I eligible for a Working Holiday Visa?
To be eligible for your first working holiday visa you must:-
- Be over 18 yrs of age but not yet 31 at the time of application.
- Have an eligible passport and be a national of:
- UK & Northern Ireland
- The Netherlands
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- Be outside Australia.
- Not be accompanied by dependent children.
To be eligible for your second Working Holiday visa you must:
- Have completed at least 3 months of Specified Work in Regional Australia whilst you are the holder of your first Working Holiday visa.
- You can find out more about specified regional work here.
- You’ll find the Regional Work postcodes here.
What are the conditions attached to a Working Holiday Visa?
- You must not work for one employer for more that 6 months.
- You can however work for a previous employer for another 6 months if you get your second Working Holiday visa.
- You can’t study for more than 3 months.
What tips do you have for staying on after the Working Holiday Visa?
You find 10 tips for success in our recent blog post here.
What is the visa application fee for the Working Holiday visa?
Currently it is $440.00, which excludes any professional fees if you engage a Registered Migration Agent to lodge the visa application for you.