The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. This visa involves a two-step process, firstly, nomination by an approved Australian employer and secondly, an application under the nominated stream. It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa program.
The visa is a permanent resident visa. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply.
You are eligible for this visa only after you have been nominated by an employer in regional Australia – this means an area that is not in the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.
If you do not have an employer who will nominate you, an Expression of Interest can be submitted. Prospective employers and state and territory government employers can then view your details and decide whether to nominate you for skilled migration.
Expression of Interest
We will provide you with a realistic assessment of your chances of success with this visa, and will advise you accordingly. We will guide you regarding submission of the Expression of Interest (EOI), your nominations, with suitable and acceptable proof, and prepare the necessary documentation to maximise your chances to be granted this visa. Contact us to assess your options
The visa has 3 streams:
- The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
- The Direct Entry stream is for:
a. people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
b. people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
c. temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
You may qualify for this visa if you:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional Australia (outside of the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne) within six months before you apply
- are under the age of 50 at time of application lodgement, unless you are exempt
- at time of application lodgement, have the required skills and qualifications for the position as per Skilled Occupation List
- at time of application lodgement, have appropriate English language skills for Temporary Residence Transition stream and Direct Entry stream unless you are exempt
- meet health and character requirements
- meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.