The Student Guardian visa is a temporary visa for a person who needs to come to Australia to provide care and support for:
- a student visa holder who is younger than 18 years of age
- a student visa holder who is older than 18 years of age and who needs such care and support due to exceptional circumstances.
General requirements for the Student Guardian include that:
- The visa applicant must have a genuine intention to provide appropriate support, accommodation and welfare for the international student;
- The visa applicant must have access to adequate funds during the period of stay in Australia; and
- The visa applicant must have a genuine intention to act as the student’s guardian in Australia.
There can only be one Student Guardian visa holder at any given time for the particular student visa holder, except in certain limited circumstances. You can apply while in or outside Australia.
If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia to be granted the visa.
If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia to be granted the visa.