Subclass 173 Contributory Parent Temporary Visa

About the Contributory Parent 173 Visa

The subclass 173 Contributory Parent temporary visa lets parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia to live in Australia for up to two years.

The Contributory Parent Temporary visa allows parents to spread the (large) costs of the Contributory Parent permanent migration over a number of years.

This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed.

After arriving in Australia, visa holders have two years to apply for a Contributory Parent subclass 143 permanent visa.

Applicants must be sponsored by a child or spouse of one of their children.

The applicant’s sponsor needs to be settled in Australia which means they must have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

Applicants can be inside or outside Australia when they apply but must be outside Australia for the visa to be granted.

Applicants are not entitled to a bridging visa even though they may be in Australia when they apply for this visa.

Criteria to be met for a subclass 173 Contributory Parent temporary visa

Applicants for a subclass 173 Contributory Parent temporary visa must:

  • Have a child who is:
    • an Australian citizen,
    • an Australian permanent resident, or
    • an eligible New Zealand citizen (An eligible New Zealand citizen is a New Zealand citizen who was living in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for at least one year in the two years immediately before 26 February 2001) o who is lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (A shorter period may be considered in exceptional circumstances)
  • Have a sponsor who will give a written undertaking to provide support for the applicant and their dependant relatives for their first two years of residency in Australia. This is usually the applicants child or a spouse of a child.
  • Meet the balance-of-family test, which means that:
    • at last half of the applicant’s children live as permanent residents in Australia OR
    • more of the applicant’s children live as permanent residents in Australia than in any other country.
  • Meet health and character requirements.

    We will guide you regarding suitable and acceptable proof, and prepare the necessary documentation to maximise your chances to be granted this visa. Contact us to assess your options.