Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

On 19 January 2017 a new Work and Holiday arrangement was signed with Ecuador.

The Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462) is for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year.

It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible partner countries.

If you have completed specified subclass 462 work in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing you can apply for a second Work and Holiday visa (see information on ‘specified subclass 462 work’ under the ‘Visa applicants’ tab).

This information tells you what you need to do to apply for a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462).
You might be able to get this visa if you:

  1. Are at least 18 but have not turned 31 years of age at the time you lodge your application
  2. will not be with a dependent child while you are in Australia
  3. have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  4. have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  5. have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) or a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
  6. meet the educational requirements
  7. have functional English
  8. have a letter of support from your government (except applicants from Israel, the People’s Republic of China and the United States of America)
  9. meet character and health requirements
  10. are a genuine visitor.

Eligible countries

You can apply for this visa if you hold a passport from:

  1. Argentina
  2. Bangladesh
  3. Chile
  4. China, People’s Republic of
  5. Indonesia
  6. Israel
  7. Malaysia
  8. Poland
  9. Portugal
  10. Slovak Republic
  11. Slovenia
  12. Spain
  13. Thailand
  14. Turkey
  15. United States of America
  16. Uruguay.